Department of Biological Science
Biology Is a Body of Facts and theories concerned with all the myriad facts of all kinds of living things and it is not simply a mixture but some determined ratio of botany and zoology. It can be defined as the science of life.
Biology is the most inexhaustible storehouse knowledge. The fundamental characteristic of biology is its possibility of unlimited growth since nature is an inexhaustible knowledge to the learners. As such there is infinite scope of boarding one's horizon of knowledge...it has exposed to mankind infinite avenues of knowledge in nature, living and non – living, the world beyond human perception thereby makes us conscious of the unknown to be explored. It develops insights with the mysteries of creation and existence, which have always attracted the attention of man since the dawn of civilization.
According to Keats "truth is beauty "so we can say that biology is a subject, which has aesthetic value, and this aesthetic sense is to develop I the students. Biology gives opportunities for creative thinking and constructive, imagination .This brings about behavioral changes in the learner, and enriches has made a tremendous impact on the cultural life of the present people.
Truth goodness and beauty are the three vital necessities of a morally high person these qualities are seen in scientists and students of biology. So we can say that biology develops moral values in the students.
Study of biology develops the will to know facts, sprit of enquiry and judgment above prejudice. Moreover study of this subject develops not only high regard for truth but also the search for our environment. By this biology gratifies and quenches the thirst of our knowledge and makes us intellectually valuable. The knowledge of biology helps to solve the various problems regarding pollution growth ecological imbalances bioengineering of biology etc. It is necessary to have some elementary knowledge of biology for becoming a useful member of a community and apply it to the daily life. Here, Biology students are prepared vocationally and become useful members of society.
In the present setup, the teacher is the pilot in every schemes of work the success or failure of a biology course depends on the teacher. Biology departments provides scientific knowledge, professional training, new technique of teaching, methods of evaluation, improvisation of science apparatus ,equipments, science kit, club activities, able to operate OHP, LCD projectors etc. to meet the challenges in education.
MS Swaminathan Resource Center - Laboratory
- Well equipped laboratory.
- Total area of the lab is 30'.0''*43'.3'', 1299 Sq.feet.
- Impressed & Appreciated by NCTE members.
- Mounted Specimens.
- Microscopic Slides.
- Stuffed Specimens.
- Human Anatomy charts.
- Wall hangings.
- Educational CDs.
- Glass articles, conical flasks, test tubes, apparatus, LCD Computer etc., are in our lab.
- Teaching aids and other learning materials prepared by the staff & students are displayed.
- Practice in using audio visual materials.
- Utilizing leisure time for self learning.
- Organising guest lectures and Organizing Workshop for the student-teachers.
- Inviting Alumni as resource Persons to motivate our student-teachers
- Conducting demonstration classes, discussion ,student seminar through Ppt , debates, symposium on the various topics of the school syllabus.
- Conducting Science practicals from 9th std to 12th std syllabus.
In order to create envirnmental awearenss, an Eco Club is functioning in our college from 2005 onwards. This club orgainses meeting in relation to ecologial development and practical aspects are looked into for development of sense of Environmental Awareness
- Enviroment Awarness Programs for local community
- Workshop on Enviromental Awarness
- Aesthetic Care Tacking of the campus
- Health and Hygienic Programme
- Medical Camp
- Tree Plantation
- World Enviroment Day Celebration
- Guest Lectures
- On 20th Jan 2012, Extension Service Department of Biological Science conducted a one day workshop on " Value added and effective teaching in biological science ".
- On 21st December 2011 Extension Service Department conducted one day training programme on " EQUIP YOUR SELF IN LANGUAGE " .Mr.Subramanian was the Resource Person and trained the participants.
- Quiz Programme on Tamil language and Tamil cultural aspects 2010-2011
- One day workshop on remedial Learning and Teaching in Tamil by our Extension Service Department on 27.08.2011
- Kinnas record t students on Tamil poem reading at karpagam university on 11.12.2011
- 'KAMBAN VIZHA' disclosure By students on balakandan charactors 31.12.2011
- Barathiyar vizha-patti mandram on 10.12.2010
- 2011-2012 – S.Deepa secured over all Proficiency in TNTEU Examination
- 2010-2011 – Jasmin John Awarded Ist rank in Optional II (English), Computers in Education and College IVth rank
- 2010-2011 – N. Visalakshi Awarded Ist rank in Biological Science.
- 2010-2011 – Out of 8 Optional subject, highest mark in Optional I (Biological Science).
- 2009–2010 – Y. Lavanya Kumari Awarded Ist rank in Biological Science Paper
- 2009–2010 – D. Asha Deva kumari Awarded Ist rank in Environmental Education (Elective paper).
- 2008–2009 – V.S. Jayasree Awarded Ist rank in Core paper –I, Optional I & II (Bioscience & Bioscience).
- 2008–2009 – V. Tamilselvi Awarded Ist rank in Core paper –II (Psychology).
- 2008–2009 – S. Hemalatha Awarded Ist rank in Core paper –I (Education in Emerging Indian Society).
- 2008–2009 – J. Revathi & S. Vigneshwari Awarded Ist rank in Bioscience paper
- 2008–2009 – R.Kanimozhi Awarded Zonal level IIIrd Rank
- 2007–2008 – P. Mallika Awarded Ist rank in Core paper I & Biological Science Paper
- 2007–2008 – University IXth rank & college Vth rank.
- 2007–2008 – P. Mallika, N. Nithyananthi, S. Sudha, & S. Rajendiran secured Ist rank in Biological science paper.
- 2007–2008 – Cash award for all.
- 2006–2007 – V. Shyamala Awarded Ist rank in core Paper I & Biological Science paper.
- 2006–2007 – University IIIrd rank
- 2006–2007 – Overall Proficiency
- 2006–2007 – Cash award for all.
- 2006–2007 – V.Shyamala Awarded University IIIrd rank.
- 2005–2006 – J. Kavitha Awarded Ist Rank in psychology (core paper II).
- 2005–2006 – S.K. Parthiban & R. Mohanaselvi - Ist rank in 2 electives, Educational Planning & Environmental education